Wednesday, April 6, 2011

You're Not Alone, Japan

I frequently browse the NY Times when I am bored, whether at work, home or just whenever I have a spare moment. I'd like to say I 'read' it, but I'll be honest, I mostly browse the headlines, deciding whether or not anything seems interesting. Today this headline did manage to catch my attention:

Japanese City’s Cry Resonates Around the World

I guess it was the part about this mayor posting something on YouTube that caught my eye, but as I read through the story, I was blown away. In desperation this mayor of a 75,000 resident town in Japan that has the 'triple threat' of disasters as it's reality posted a video on an internet site, hoping that it might make a difference. As he is quoted in the article, he was at the end of his rope, and figured why not. The response was overwhelming: aid groups, individuals and NGO's bringing food and other supplies in a matter of days.

But my favorite part is this quote:

“Suddenly, the world was extending its hand to us,” said Mr. Sakurai, 55, an energetic man who still wears the same beige uniform as in the video, but now smiles and seems more relaxed. “We learned we’re not alone.”

Isn't that what we all want? Whether we are in a crisis or just going through our day to day, in the core of who we are, I believe we want to know we're not alone. We are seen. We are cherished and worth it. I am so glad and thankful for the response that occured after this mayor's plea. I am so happy that the people left in the city of Minamisoma know that the rest of the world is thinking of them, praying for them, and wants to see their lives restored.

If you have a chance, read the article. Its a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment