Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Such a Challenge, Such an Honor

At the end of Spring Break I began helping with the youth group at our church. My good friend was already a youth leader and she needed some help with a girls' all-nighter event. I said I would come and hang out, and honestly, had a load of fun. Sure, by 7 a.m. I was exhausted and so thankful to go home and sleep, but I thoroughly enjoyed the conversations, silliness, and fun we all had together. A week later I began helping as a 'youth leader,' a semi-official title that essentially means I get the great joy and challenge of mentoring, loving on, encouraging and offering advice to middle and high school aged students. This isn't brand new territory for me. Until the past couple of years, I had been helping with youth group in some capacity since I was 18 years old. Its offered tons of growth opportunities, tons of challenges and tons of joy. There have been moments of intense frustration, crying out to God that I'm not cut out for whatever was happening in the moment. But there have been moments of amazing celebration, as well, rejoicing with the students as they see the goodness of God demonstrated in their lives. I am not a parent, but it must be something like that: trying to do your best in that places you don't feel equipped or ready for, but also feeling overwhelming pride and joy as you witness success. I am challenged on a weekly basis by questions that are difficult, situations that seem out of control and lives that are too important to overlook. But I am also honored to have these students to pour into, as well. Its a heavy and light sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment