Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Baron Family Christmas

For the first time ever I experienced the Baron Family Christmas! (There have been a lot of firsts this year and will continue to be, I'm sure...)

The morning was lovely. Any day that Landon and I get to sleep in together is. However, these are few and far between. Opposite schedules make it impossible during the week, and typically on the weekends we are doing something adventurous on Saturday and then church on Sunday. And I am a sleeper. I take pride in my ability to take long naps, and I am a self-proclaimed bed lover, and make no apologies for it. If ever the day comes that we have kids, this may become a problem. But for now, I revel in it... I woke up later than Landon and when I went to the living room to see what he was up to he was perched in the mustard puke yellow St Vincent De Paul chair, with his headphones on and the computer on his lap. I asked what he was doing and the reply came that he was waiting for a song to load. We watched the music video together and as it ended he asked if I liked the music. "Ya. They're really good." "Well good, because we're going to their concert tonight and I got us a hotel room in downtown," he explained with a Cheshire Cat grin across his face. I was ecstatic! I love surprises and love that he went to all the trouble to plan something for us to enjoy together. It means more than I find words adequate to express it. So instead of staying the night in Salem at the Cantrall's casa, we would head to Newberg for the Christmas dinner and then go North to PDX. Stoked!

We made our way to Newberg in a drizzly haze, the blue Mazda humming up the freeway as we sat content, complete with Allann Brother's drinks in the cup holders and Brooke Fraser coming out of the speakers. We discussed music, traveling, careers, family... Anything and everything. We listened to songs over and over again, attempting to understand them, apply them to ourselves in a way. I giggled and swooned, taking in all that was happening, feeling very much like a princess out on a grand adventure. A deep part of my heart was impacted, and the result was very good.

We arrived and were immediately welcomed by cousins, aunts, second cousins, parents, grandparents and nephews. Landon's dad has two siblings, but they each have a two kids, and all the kids have kids except us and the Coopers. And though the hall was large, with a big table set down the middle, it was alive and bubbling with various conversations, kids squealing and laughter. Ah, commotion. I have been around it since birth and life wouldn't seem right without it.

Dinner was prayed over and dished up. I was again blessed to eat Gammy's cooking, something she is famous for. Ham, turkey, cranberry chutney, a potato dish, green salad... It was all there. The end of the table held the desserts, and in his 3 year old wisdom, Elliott was not too keen on leaving them alone. Who said having pie before turkey was bad for you? He patiently waited until his dad gave him the ok, though, and then enjoyed every sweet and satisfying morsel. As did the rest of us. And after the food, we all sort of pushed back from the table and the conversations continued. It was really fun to talk with family I had only met once or twice, and get to know more about them and what is going on in their lives. It was also fun to chase the little kids around, twirling Elliott in circles until both of us were nervous we'd lose our dinner.

Couldn't have been a better way to begin the holiday season. Again reminded of how wonderful this whole marriage thing is.

The Baron Clan. (Minus Joel, Danelle, Ilia, Baron and Aunt Bev.)

I've learned that this happens often.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a very fun trip and Christmas celebration! :)

    ReplyDelete