Friday, January 7, 2011

An Interesting Theory

A couple weeks before Christmas we made a surprise trip to Portland. In that time we visited Powell's. Its a phenomenal bookstore, filled up to the gills with delicious reads and rare jewels of the book kind. I believe I found one such gem.
We were in the Sports section, scouring the shelf for a biography for Babe Ruth. Randomly I thought it would be interesting to read of the early life of such an American icon. I never did buy a Babe Ruth book. Instead I stumbled upon a book with an interesting title, How Soccer Explains The World. Pretty bold statement, I'd say. I was instantly intrigued. Quickly scanning the back cover only heightened my curiosity. Ok, fine. I'll get it.
SO GLAD I DID! I'm not completely infatuated with current issues or obsessed with globalization subjects, but the way that Foer compared a game I love (soccer) with these very real situations in various countries around the world was compelling. Not to mention, any book that requires me to use a dictionary to understand a significant amount of sentences is very satisfying to me, in a twisted sort of way. So the long and short of it, I loved this book, recommend it, and hope to one day be able to write with such a mosaic lexicon as Foer does.

No comments:

Post a Comment