Friday, January 14, 2011

Undocking the Boat

I 'journaled' about this passage a few days ago, shared it with some wonderful people in my life, and today felt like adding it here.
When Simon Peter saw this [huge catch of fish] he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” Luke 5:8
Unfortunately I may never know the impact of this catch in its cultural context. However, I can imagine that for a merchant man like Simon Peter, after a long night of work, he was dubious about this escapade’s success. This was his livelihood, and by obeying what Jesus said he was potentially putting it at risk. Other gospel’s indicate that he had been with Jesus before (John 1:35-42), and yet did he completely trust the Rabbi? He decided that he must do what was requested of him, even to the point of putting the nets he had just finished cleaning back in the water.I can almost smell the thick salty air and hear the splash and thud as the nets hit the water, a sweating, alert Simon Peter letting them down in his expertise and almost instinctual habit. What would come of this simple obedience? What would be bought back up with the nets? I have to imagine that Simon Peter was wondering things like this. And then I can almost see a little nod from Jesus as Simon, shrugging his shoulders, begins the arduous task of pulling the nets in. But wait! There’s some resistance... And then the expression of sheer joyful astonishment as he realizes what a bounty he had captured! I can completely identify with what he does next: beg Jesus to leave! I would probably be thinking something along the lines of, “If He really knew who I was, and how undeserving I am of this grace, He wouldn’t bother.” And yet Jesus’ response come in complete calm, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will catch men.” (vs 10). And I believe Simon Peter knew the truth and assuredness of his Master’s words. I believe if he had any doubt it was now replaced with exuberant joy and expectation, realizing it wasn’t his strength that would get the results Jesus’ statement had just promised, but rather it was by adherence and obedience to the gentle commands of such a magnificent Teacher. And what of us? What of me? Do we follow the gentle urges, relying on and thus giving full glory to the One who orchestrates it all anyway? Or do we see the clean nets, the stored gear, the docked boat, the things we have done to get results we think we want, and silently ignore the call out to the water? It might be inconvenient, require some sweat and pull us back out when all we really want is a little rest (I’m sure Simon Peter was tired!) but it also WILL be worth it. It will come back to us tenfold, not only in veritable “fish in the boat” but also in the growth our Spirit undergoes when we completely obey His call. I’m not trying to promote a ‘work hard and you’ll be rewarded' mentality, but obedience to God has a direct positive correlation to our growth, maturity and ultimately our joy. So much, it cannot be overlooked. I want to learn from Simon Peter’s obedience. To agree to undocking my boat, to trying again what I’ve possibly failed at before, and to do it all in complete obedience and submission to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment