Friday, February 18, 2011

Health, As a Choice

I work in traditional medicine. In fact, I report to work at one of the biggest and newest hospitals in Oregon. I went to college, got a degree, and help in putting the pieces together to figure out what can be done for sick or injured people on a weekly basis. I also have very strong opinions about health care and, specifically, about people's decisions in relation to the care they receive. More than anything else in one's life, I believe that a person's autonomy when it comes to the treatment or help they receive should be absolutely and completely their choice, not swayed one centimeter by someone else's bias. Whether that means they choose to fore go treatment for ovarian cancer because they want to "go out with my girl parts" or they try every possible test and medicine in order to prolong life a little longer. It is that person's decision, and it should be respected to the utmost not only by health care professionals but also by family and friends. This is my conviction. So as an exercise of this freedom and conviction, I did not get a flu shot this year. Last flu season (December, 2009) I actually caught the H1N1 virus from the shot I received at work, and therefore was sick for the better part of a week. This suffering, coupled with a campaign for a certain percentage of adherence in employees of our hospital that I completely disagree with, was enough to make me sign a waiver declining the vaccination at work. However, this decision did not come without a cost. We are officially declared to be in 'flu season' now, so because of my declination I am now required to don a mask over my nose and mouth anytime I am in a patient care area of the hospital. This is a policy at my place of work, so I adhere, but as one physician I spoke with tonight expressed, I feel like I am being punished. There is a contingent of workers here who also have their masks on, so I feel some amount of camaraderie. However, patients have more than once inquired about my mask, given me suspicious looks, and seemed very uneasy with me helping them. I explain the mask does not denote sickness. In fact, I feel wonderful. But it is policy. I cannot help but feel like me exercising my freedom of choice in my health care and personal health, because it does not fit the mold, is causing me to be ostracized. Maybe I'm overreacting, but it sure is not enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment