Thursday, February 17, 2011

Perspective

A sweet patient I x-rayed tonight gave me a book recommendation. He was on chemo precautions, attached at an IV and has a tube in his nose that caries nutrition from a bottle of brown liquid down to his stomach. I had to x-ray him to make sure that tube was in the right spot, and his difficulty hearing made the conversation sort of awkward, but I did the x-ray and then noticed a book on his table. I asked if it was good. "Yes, very good." I told him I'd read it. I walked out of his room and back to my department. He lays there even now, with a disease coursing through his body that the doctors are trying to irradicate with nasty medications. My health is something I take for granted, but tonight I'm reminded of it.
I just read the story of a friend of mine from a long time ago. Her first son was still-born last year, completely turning her and her husband's world upside down. I just read the story and as tears welled in my eyes I had an overwhelming sense of what great faith looks like. What standing amidst trials looks like. What really believing God is who He says He is looks like. I get caught in my own little world so often, thinking I am entitled to feel bad about my situation. Wow. How selfish and vain of me? Again, a new perspective on this very blessed life I live. He has my life, in beautiful sovreignty He holds my life.
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment