Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Noc Shift

I arrived at work tonight at 11 pm, a little tired, with a coffee in one hand and my name badge in the other. The feeling brought back numerous memories beginning two years ago, when I was hired into my first full time position at PeaceHealth. I was blessed to extern at a fairly ideal time, also known as, the opening of a new hospital. RiverBend celebrated it's grand opening in August of 2008, providing me with a job right after graduation. My hours would prove challenging: an eight hour day shift, then a twelve hour night shift, and two more ten hour night shifts, over the weekend. I would spend many weekends sleepless, experiencing a myriad of aches and pains my body used as an alert system to the lack of rest I was getting. Migraines being the worst, I was relieved to board the plane for Rwanda and leave the night shift behind me. Or so I thought... A couple of weeks ago the opportunity arose to have weekends off with my husband. The catch: back to night shift. This time the hours would be Monday-Thursday, but nonetheless, working whilst 'normal people' sleep. After talking it over with Landon, I decided to put in my resume, not knowing whether I'd get the position. But here I am. Back on nights, and strangely enough, extremely excited for it. I love the feel of the hospital at night, the culture of the staff. It has more of a feeling of a team, and there seems to be more patience for each other. There also isn't a lot of management. I consider our department blessed with the supervisors and managers we do have, but there is a simple joy in doing my work and not because someone is watching every move I make. I also am excited to learn more. I believe that this shift will afford that more, in different ways than just x-ray. So here's to all those night shift workers out there! I'm back in it with you and I admire your strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment